May 17, 2013

NOVEL BOOKS II

"A Walk Across the Sun" by Corban Addison (2011)
The story is set between Dec 2004 and October 2005. Spans around Chennai, South Carolina, Mumbai, Washington DC, Paris, Pennsylvania, Goa and Georgia. It is based on one of the most sensitive subject - human trafficking for forced prostitution and slave labor. However, the novel has a happy ending.

I have seen few documentaries on the human trafficking but this novel touched my soul. I still find difficult to accept that this is a fictional story. The author has done extensive research on this issue. The author's writing skills are highly commendable. I also like the philosophical quotes at the beginning of each chapter. I was along with the character all the time. Had hellish fear for Sita who was trafficked between several places and always had hope for her to reunite with her sister Ahalya.

Thomas, the other main character who changed his views and job when touched by the human trafficking facts has inspired me to do something to fight for the children and young girls caught up in human trafficking.

I look forward to more such message conveying books by Corban Addison.

Stars: 5 out of 5.




"Revolution 2020" by Chetan Bhagat (2011)
In this story, the author has exposed corruption in the education sector in India. He should have focussed on revolution against corruption. The story would suit well for a bollywood movie. I am little disappointed, not my cup of tea. May be I should try reading one of his previous books.

Stars: 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment